Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Long Awaited - City of Glass Review

"Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Timesbestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments"

If I could give this book 6 out of 5 stars I would. I was absolutely fantastic !! I loved every single minute of it, I could literally not put it down in the last day and a half. In the third book of the “Immortal Series” we find Clary, Jace, Simon, Alex and Isabel all going into Idris their homeland to decide what will finally be done with Valentine. Although Alex and Isabel are excited to be going home, Jace is not. He has decided one way or another Clary will not be coming along with them; he has even enrolled Simon’s help to stop her from taking the portal there. But we all know Clary is a determined fiery red head and when she puts her mind to it, anything is possible … Even a little B&E into the very secured Idris; where showing up uninvited is not only against the law, but punishable by death. But Clary is bound to finally get her mother back to full health and out of the coma she has been inhabiting for long enough in Clary’s eyes.

The third instalment in the Immortal Series is a sexy, adventurous and addicitng read where nothing is ever as it seems, and Clary and Jace FINALLY get their emotions, life, and family into check. I especially found this one addicting due to the ever ending question if Jace is truly Clary’s brother or if Valentine made that up to use Jace, and finally after much anticipation we finally get this answered revealed AND a little extra about just how “special” Jace is. Now I will not give too much away but let’s just say there is one steamy make out scene between Jace and Clary about ⅓ of the way into the novel ;P Alex and Magnus find some common ground to work with and while experimenting with Clary’s new found shadowhunter ability Alex finds himself in some hot (and also quite awkward) water with his parents and the Clave. Isabel is as ever satiable as usual, and finds herself torn between being Clary’s friend and protecting Jace from the inevitable heartache Clary will only cause him. All in all the main characters of this series really come into their own and “grow” up a bit for teenagers. I especially like the grow with Simon though. Simon deserves a paragraph of his own. He really matures in this book, he no longer is the grouchy, jealous best friend of Clary who also was turned into a vampire, who ALSO can walk in the sunlight. Instead he has taken on the brooding, sexy vampire vibe and really works it well. Although through a good ⅔’s of the book we find that Simon has been tricked and captured by the Clave in Idris and locked up to be questioned on events surrounding Valentine and Jace and the Lightwoods.  But when Simon is released (of course by Clary and Jace) he really accepts his new life as a vampire, and helps in the epic battle that occurs between Downworlders, Shawdowhunters, and Valentines minions (which you would think the downworlders and minions are the same BUT there’s a spectacular twist!). I cannot reveal too much more than that about Simon but lets just say everyone is wanting Simon not just because he is a vampire that can walk in the sunlight but he has attracted some attention from a Shadowhunter AND a werewolf. Perhaps there is a relationship in Simons future that does not include pining over Clary ;)

The only problem I had about this specific novel is that I felt like the beginning was a little slow to pick up AND they also did an entire recap of things that had already happened as well. I find that quite irritating when I need to reread something about the second or first book in a series when I had just read the book before this one, although I understand why authors do that for people who read other books in between the publishing of series. But honestly this was on the best books in a series I’ve read in a long time. I feel Clare left enough to work with for 4,5 and 6 in the immortal series, and did not elaborate on too many characters so much so they are able to grow more throughout the last 3. 

As I said at the beginning of this review, I believe this is definitely a series all Y.A. enthusiast must read if not just for the intense story line, but due to the character growth and actual real life problems teen actually go through. Absolutely superb!


2 comments:

  1. Great review! Nice to see you so enthusiastic about this, it's such a good series! Hope you enjoy CoFA as much if you haven't yet read it.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I am usually really enthusastic about books I dive right into and this series was fabulous! I am eagerly awaiting my spot on the library wait list for City of Fallen Angels I am sure I will love it! :)

    ReplyDelete