Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (20)

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by "Breaking the Spine" were bloggers can post their anticipated upcoming publications!

The New Year is upon us bringing great sequels, and astonishing debut books! Who is excited!? I am quickly getting all of my books together for the DAC and the SRC going on this year and this book bellow is definitely on my Debut Author List 2012! 





Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen (MacMillon)
Expected Publication: January 13, 2012

"New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.
The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes."

"There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behaviour—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back."


"Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different."


"Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. 
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved."

Thoughts: 
What is there not to love about this debut book & author! In a world where the Bill of Rights doesn't exist nor does the police or the justice system - this exciting new book with grip you tight and never let go it seems. A few things that really drew me into this book was the dystopian like destruction that occurs in this new America, the strong heroine Ember, and of course the chance at a little romance between her and her mothers arrestor. Ember really drew me into this book, she reminds me of a Clary, or a Katniss type character and I really loved those characters so I think she will be a great addition to my collection of awesome Heroines! The cover isn't gorgeous or anything but it is very unique and really depicts the synopsis well. I like the dash of red colour in the grey scale picture as well. So what do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I've heard amazing things about this. I can't wait for it either, I think it will be a great book! Great pick :)

    Andrea
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this right now, and loving it so far!! I actually really like the cover... the way the title is laid out is really interesting to me, and I just love the way it's laid out... and all the plain colour with the red popping so well.

    ReplyDelete